Friday, August 3, 2012
I forced Daniel to spend part of a day with me to clean his room before he leaves for college. When we opened the closet, he produced a huge stack of t-shirts and asked if I'd make them into a quilt. There were other shirts he'd given me for this purpose in my craft room, so I knew there would be enough. I started immediately in hopes of getting it back before we drive him to Texas.
On a trip to Quilter's Heaven for another project, I saw a t-shirt quilt on the long arm. I learned a lot from it! The quilter didn't use rows, but favored columns. Each column was a long strip of various t-shirts strung together and separated with sashing. She also cut up various elements of the shirts and recombined them. I used both techniques in this layout.
I quickly realized how HUGE hockey jerseys are! The hockey jersey "blocks" are the height of two blocks plus sashing. I cut various elements from the shirts - logos, name, player numbers, etc. Using Wonder Under, I created iron-on "decals" to place on the background of the block; then I stitched them on. All his activities from middle and high school are here: baseball, hockey, band, percussion camps, MYA. The center block is the UNT t-shirt from the college visit weekend. Sashing and backing are red flannel. This quilt started out to be a lap size and quickly grew to this large size - it should cover the regulation issue college Twin XL bed! LOL